Australian II (Phalaris aquatica) is a prostrate, semi-winter active variety, which forms thick dense tufts of wide blue-green leaves that are very palatable to sheep and cattle. It was selected as a superior replacement for Australian and Uneta. A significant advantage of Australian II is its ability to persist under heavy grazing in dry, acidic conditions.
Australian II’s prostrate growth makes it well-suited to set stocking systems and it demonstrates superior grazing tolerance and persistence compared to other Phalaris varieties. It has excellent seedling vigour, which will assist in successful establishment. Once established, Australian II will tolerate periods of waterlogging and inundation. Australian II will extend the range of pasture species available to help combat soil degradation.
Establishing a perennial pasture based on Phalaris will improve farm productivity compared to systems relying on annual grasses. Nitrogen produced by pasture legumes usually grown with annual grasses leaches down though the soil profile, taking nutrients with it, leaving acidic elements behind.
The deep-rooted nature of Australian II Phalaris draws these nutrients back up along the soil profile to help prevent or slow down the onset of acidification. Another major benefit of the deep-root system of Phalaris is it improves persistence and productivity under drought conditions. It is also useful in reducing recharge zones and helps prevent dry land salinity
- Prostrate Summer active cultivar
- ‘True to Type’ Certified Quality
- Tolerates waterlogging and mildly saline conditions
- A significant strength of Australian II is its ability to persist under heavy grazing in dry conditions
- Its prostrate growth makes it very well suited to set stocking systems and it demonstrates superior grazing tolerance and persistence compared to other Phalaris varieties
- It has excellent seedling vigour, which assists in successful establishment
- Minimum 500mm rainfall per annum unless irrigated
- Sowing rate of 3-5 kg/ha (Pure) or 1-3 kg/ha (Mixes)