Buckwheat is a fast growing, short season spring, summer regeneration, cover crop, & potential grain cultivar that is planted for it’s rapid growth to choke out weeds and attract beneficial insects & bees.
Buckwheat dense root system means it is a great mid summer soil conditioner before Autumn crops, with its abundant fine roots leaving the top soil loose before Autumn planting. Buckwheat grows well in low-fertility or acidic soils and can scavenge some phosphorus (P).
If used for a cover crop over summer, Buckwheat is ideally mown before seeds mature and left to decompose and protect the soil until the next sowing.
Buckwheat is also available in our Multi Specie Pasture Blends.
- Green manure crop
- Soil conditioning characteristics
- Buckwheat branches freely, as opposed to tillering
- Fast growing, short season crop
- Attract beneficial insects and bees when flowering
- Grows well in low fertility or acidic soils
- Buckwheat is not drought tolerant
|Sowing Rate||Standalone: 35kg/ha|
|Days to Maturity||70-90 days|
|Height at maturity||0.5-1m|
|Available in||Multi Specie Pasture Blends|