ORACLE PLANTAIN - OUR TOP PLANTAIN SELECTION
Fast establishment with strong year-round growth
A late heading, broad leafed plantain bred for high forage yields under grazing. Has very strong year-round growth, especially over the late spring, summer and autumn months. Has deep fibrous roots enabling good heat and drought tolerance.
- Higher overall dry matter yields
- Late heading for carrying quality longer
- High forage quality and mineral content
- Good drought and heat tolerance
- Ideal for use as a specialist forage crop
- Suitable for all livestock types
Take your livestock to new heights with Ecotain
Ecotain® environmental plantain is a mineral-rich perennial grazing herb. Ecotain is fast establishing and tolerant to a wide range of soils, including less fertile soils and dryland regions with 600mm+ annual rainfall irrigation. Ecotain has a deep coarse root system, which gives it a degree of drought tolerance and the ability to respond quickly after summer dry conditions.
Plantain is a moderate drought tolerant herb with a fibrous, coarse root system that is best suited to dairy farm situations where the amount and quality of summer feed limits milk production. Despite it’s moderate drought tolerance, Plantain still requires moisture to grow well; and under severe drought growth will be reduced. Producing between 10-19 t DM/ha/year with an average of 16 t DM/ha under irrigation.
For optimum growth and persistence, Plantain is best sown in high fertile soils with temperatures of 12oC and rising. Mixed with ryegrass & Clover, Plantain can be added at 2-4 kg/ha, whilst in special purpose crops the recommended seed mix is 8-10kg/ha.
BENEFITS OF PLANTAIN
- Year round growing pattern
- Deep taproot for good drought tolerance
- High nutritive & mineral contents
- Quick to establish
- Performs reasonably well on low fertility soils