Chico Chicory is a high yielding, very high quality and leafy chicory showing fast establishment, rapid re-growth, strong insect resistance and good drought tolerance.
Chico is noted for its strong summer, autumn growth providing high quality summer forage and making it ideal as a specialist summer crop for high livestock performance systems. Chico Chicory is a good source of minerals (particularly Zn, Cu, Mg, P, Ca and K).
Chico Chicory plays an important role in summers & autumns with extended dry conditions, providing an ability to provide quality feed for longer (compared with plantain, forage brassicas).
Reduce reliance on autumn brought in feed with the flexible rocket fuel, Chico Chicory
How is Chico chicory used?
- As specialist late summer and autumn crop. Chico provide a great amount of high quality feed over late summer and autumn, so it’s plays a specialist role in filling a feed gap
- Summer forage pasture mix – Chicory can be mixed with companion species such as red clover, plantain, and forage brassicas.
- Autumn pasture mix – Chicory can also be added to a pasture mix to improve summer production and quality enabling new pastures to carry higher quality feed later during dry summers.
Chico Chicory has the following benefits:
- High yielding, leafy, upright chicory
- Fast establishment and re-growth
- Strong summer, autumn growth with improved winter activity
- Very high quality summer forage (high metabolisable energy & digestibility)
- Excellent livestock performance
- Good drought tolerance (1m long tap root)
- Safe to animals – won’t cause grass staggers or facial eczema
- Tolerant of Diamondback Moth and White Butterfly
- An ideal specialist summer crop or can be sown as a component of pastures.
|Sowing date||Early Spring & Early Autumn|
|Sowing rate||1-3kg/ha (mix), 8-10kg/ha (standalone)|
|Ready to graze||50-70 days|
|Companion species (Autumn sown)||Ryegrass, White Clover, Red Clover, Plantain|
|Companion species (Autumn sown)||Plantain, Red Clover, Forage Brassicas|